Sunday, August 30, 2009

Whew! What's Next??

I have been receiving emails from people, wondering when I will post an update to the blog. I guess while the process seems to be going lightning fast to me, it doesn't necessarily feel that way to the people who aren't actually going to end the process with a larger family. H

We graduated from our classes yesterday. Diploma in hand, we go off secure in the knowledge that we can now handle any behavior that comes our way - we can handle ourselves in a therapeutic and proactive manner fitting to each and every situation. Ha ha, just kidding. But we really did graduate from the class. 

I took a lot away from those classes, actually. First of all, I learned how heartbreaking some little lives can be. I've really lived in a protected cocoon throughout my life. Certainly, I've had some heartaches of my own, but nothing like what these little people are dealing with. Then, I gained a new perspective on what it's like for a child who is in the system. The idea of being taken away from the only family you know, handed over to an entirely different situation and being told they are now your family (sometimes without even having the opportunity to say goodbye)... I don't know any adults who would handle that well, much less children.

We are now armed with some knowledge. We are now better prepared as to what to expect. This is good. Necessary, even, for a successful adoption to take place, I think. Understanding what the child(ren) has been through will go a long way in helping us to be patient through some trying times. 

Whew! 

We also were much relieved to find out that we have not contracted Tuberculosis since the last time we were tested. And the doctors decided that we were still breathing during our physicals, so that's always good. We have received proof positive that we have not been arrested in either of the last two counties in which we have lived. We have offered certified proof of our marriage. We have told our social worker many personal details of our daily lives. Fun conversations, those! Talk about a walk down memory lane -- I was able to recount, in some detail, just how much trouble I gave to my own parents as a child. 

We have our last home visit this week. And we're going to be certified to foster as well, so that means fire inspections, a safety inspection by our social worker, and (undoubtedly) more paperwork. It is not our plan to foster, but to adopt. Being certified to foster, however, was strongly recommended so that we can receive financial assistance while waiting for the adoption process to be finalized. 

So what's next? Beyond having copies run of our family's picture profile (a way for the children's social worker and, eventually, the children themselves, to be introduced to our family) I guess it's getting down to the "wait and see" part. This might be good... a little waiting can't hurt. It might even give us a little chance to relax. Call it the calm before the storm...


No comments:

Post a Comment